Tuesday, December 23, 2008

8th Annual Olympia Bearzaar

I cannot say enough good things about the Olympia Bearzaar.  Kathy Thompson is the organizer, andI'm told she manages to grow the bazaar every year.  This is my first year attending as a vendor, but it was the biggest craft fair I've attended, and I couldn't have been more pleased with attendee turnout.

From a vendor's perspective, Kathy's organization is unequaled when compared to any of the other bazaars on this blog.  From my first interactions with Kathy, through load-out on the day of the event, her hand was visible in every aspect of the show.  Student helpers, dressed in easily-recognizable blue aprons, were available at load-in to help vendors.  Borrowed shopping carts were available for hauling goods and fixutres from cars.  Students were assigned to zones to take lunch orders prior to the start of the event.  Students or helpers came by booths throughout the day to ensure vendors' needs were met.  I came away feeling like I was a valued participant in the bazaar, and that goes a long way to helping me decide if I'll be back.

Attendance was phenomenal, as you would expect from a bazaar that is well publicized.  Despite a supposed miss by The Olympian's printed newspaper, by mid-day, the school could be described as crowded.  Kathy pulled in a local teachers' sorority to manage the food court, and with reasonable prices and a wide variety, people were able to browse all day.  Several attendees stopped by my booth multiple times throughout the day.

Another nice thing about the Bearzaar is that it seems like it is becoming a local institution.  It's in only its eighth year, but several attendees told me they've made it part of their holiday tradition.  I enjoyed seeing so many familiar faces in attendance; kids' grade school teachers, old neighbors, friends, acquaintances all made the experience one worth repeating.

No comments: